Remote is the new norm is a common slogan these days. With covid-19 still luring around and a complete year affected by the pandemic has made organizations realize the importance of digital resiliency of the workforce. This has in turn accelerated the trends in digital technology adoption paving the way for digital transformation.
According to a Gartner 2020 Survey, almost 68% respondents agreed that most C-levels have understood the importance of digital transformation amidst the covid-19 pandemic situation
“The pandemic rapidly elevated many digital workplace technologies from nice-to-have to must-have status”
The need for digital transformation has never been felt this strongly in the past as it was in 2020. According to the Gartner study stated “6 Trends on the Gartner Hype Cycle for the Digital Workplace” A whole new outlook of how the work needs to be performed has emerged. With physical meetings moving onto virtual meetings (meeting software’s), Working form the premises of the brick and mortar offices to working remotely via desktop as a service, form having face to face conversations to having enterprise chat tools, simply making the nice-to-have into the must-have digital technologies in order for business to survive and thrive.
6 Major Trends on the Gartner Hype Cycle for the Digital Workplace, 2020
Gartner has come up with 6 major trends that have emerged strongly during the pandemic and should be must have in the future. Here we will talk about the trend #5 which is Desktop as a Service but the rest also needs to be mentioned for better understanding:
The Work Nucleus
- A collection of SaaS based communication and collaboration tools combined together in one cloud-based office product.
Bring your Own Thing To the Workplace – BYOT
- Working on any device that the employee wants to work with and bringing it to the office whether it be a laptop, smartwatch, voice assistant, air filters, fitness bands and even own robots or drones.
The Distance Economy – Virtual Workplace
- Virtual workplaces or the distance economy meaning virtual meetings with clients and internal, enterprise chat tools replacing the face to face meetings
- IOT (Internet of Things), integrated workplace management systems, virtual workspaces, Digital Signage, facial recognition and motion sensors.
Desktop as a Service DaaS
- Virtual desktop for remote workers for anywhere, anytime and any device access
Democratized Technology Services
Desktop as a Service and Its Importance – DaaS as a Savior during the Pandemic
Desktop as a service or simply DaaS is the provisioning of computing resources virtually via the cloud. Desktop as a service has always been in the news for creating a digital disruption and organizations were looking into hopping onto the digital transformation bandwagon but thee acceptance rate was a bit low and slow.
With the arrival of 2020, the covid19 pandemic hitting the world and the need for remote workers, businesses around the globe understood the importance of cloud adoption and specifically DaaS (Desktop as a service).
Why Rapid Adoption of Desktop as a Service (DaaS)?
The pandemic posed various questions as workers moved to remote workplaces about security and data integrity, high availability and the associated cost and so on and so forth.
Cloud and DaaS seemed to be the only viable solution in this hour of need as DaaS provides the following benefits
- Remote Ready – Anytime, Anywhere, Any device Access
- BYOT – Bring your own thing – Bringing your own device or use to the workplace
- Security – Multiple layers of security including physical as well as virtual security
- BC/DR – Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Scalability – Scaling up and down on the fly as and when needed
- CAPEX to OPEX – Reduced capital expenditures and moving to an operating expenses model
- Flat Rate Pricing – No surprises on the cloud bill at the end of the month
Desktop as a Service or DaaS became the savior amidst the pandemic as organizations can easily shut down their brick and mortar offices and still work as usual. Mission critical business data can be made available to resources securely anytime via any device with keeping data integrity intact. Adding or reducing resources is no more a hassle as it is just a matter of a few clicks to provision or deprovision a DaaS machine.
The pandemic has hit a lot of businesses and is still luring around but DaaS as mentioned in the Gartner Hype cycle is the business savior.