With the increasing demand for flexible work environments along with increasing Cyber Risks, IT departments are tasked with finding solutions that meet both of these needs. One option that has become widely accepted and implemented is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
What Is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is defined as “a virtualization technology that hosts a desktop operating system on a centralized server in a data center.”
There are several main components that are needed to deploy this virtual technology and are listed below:
- Server rack in a local data center
- Virtualization platform such as Hyper-V or VMWare ESX Server
- Protocol for connecting to the virtual OS, such as the RDP protocol that is native to the operating system or an add-on protocol. This protocol handles processes such as device and printer redirection.
- Platform for managing the servers and helping provision virtual machines and quickly and efficiently.
- Session broker – the session broker is responsible distributing sessions from the device to the virtual machine.
- Application virtualization programs such as Microsoft Application Virtualization and VMWare Thin Apps
- Profile and data redirection to enable users to customize their virtual environment and receive the same experience when they log on next.
- End user devices, such as a laptop, desktop or thin client.
Virtual Desktops Started the Revolution – Hosted Virtual Desktops or DaaS Will Bring the Future
Virtual desktops have been a key in helping businesses to enable flexible work strategies while keeping their data secure and ushering in the next generation of talent, but for many, the complexity of designing and managing an on-premise VDI solution is daunting and overwhelming. This is where cloud-based/hosted virtual solutions come into play.
Hosted Virtual Desktops provide the benefits of a virtual desktop infrastructure without the complexity in managing and deploying the solution. We invite you to look more into hosted virtual desktops and see how you can get on the path towards Digital Transformation today.