- TechTarget's Opinion about dinCloud
- Chicago Law Firm Clears Immigration to Cloud in under a Week
- dinCloud Partners with ThreatStop
- DaaS Specific Solutions of dinCloud Highlighted by BrianMadden
- Cloud vs. Enterprise: DaaS Picks Up Where VDI Failed
- dinCloud offers DaaS for Law Firms
- TechRadar Pro Spoke to Mike Chase, EVP & CTO at dinCloud
- dinCloud Targets Law Firms with New Cloud Service Suite
- Cloud vs. Enterprise: Bye, Bye VDI; Hello DaaS
- VMware DaaS sited to Outplay Amazon WorkSpaces -- and its own Partners
- dinCloud Announces Legal Industry Specific Cloud Services
- dinCloud Announces First HTML5 Powered Hosted Virtual Desktop
- Business News Daily Mentions dinCloud
- New Product Launches and R&D Investments for 2014
- Mashable Cites dinCloud CEO for Insight on Cloud Savings.
- eWeek Features dinCloud for Virtual Server Hosting.
- Ingram Micro Cloud Now Offers dinCloud Hosted Virtual Servers.
- dinCloud Announces Retail Cloud Services
- dinCloud Recognized by CRN as a 2014 Emerging Vendor
- dinCloud Wins 2014 TMC Cloud Computing Desktop-as-a-Service Award
- dinCloud CTO: Migration Wars Coming After Price Wars
- Cloud Services Providers like dinCloud Thriving Despite Price Clash Among Giants
- Tech Data Partners with dinCloud to Offer VARs Cloud-based Solutions
- White Labeling Cloud Services Pros and Cons
- Tech Data Expands Extreme Networks Alliance - Adds dinCloud
- Tech Data Partners with dinCloud to Offer Turnkey Cloud Solutions
- Cloud Computing: A Painkiller for IT Managers
- Big Awards SYNC with dinCloud CTO Mike Chase on Trends in the Cloud
- Combination of Internally Developed Software and Cloud-based Services by dinCloud Mentioned by TechTarget
- TechTarget Features DaaS Services of dinCloud
- dinCloud Offers no Transfer Fees with its New Cloud Service
- Search Virtual Desktop Discusses DaaS Services by dinCloud
- Network World Lists D3 Storage by dinCloud in New Products of the Week
- DrivenBI is to Deliver its Cloud Analytics Platform on dinCloud
- DrivenBI Partners with dinCloud to Launch Cloud-Based Analytics for Existing Cloud Transformation Services
- dinCloud's dinStorage D3 is Covered by Business Cloud
- AMZN D3 Cloud Storage Solution by dinCloud Featured by Talkin' Cloud
- dinCloud Launches dinStorage D3 for Cloud Storage Automation
- Mike Chase, CTO dinCloud Quoted in SearchVirtualDesktop Article
- dinCloud Wins Gold Stevie® Award
- TechNewsWorld Mentions dinCloud for Its Adaptability and Affordability
- Cloud Secrets: How to Get In - And Out - Quickly
Why Zero Client Is Zero Rated
Posted by: Mike Chase 2 years, 2 months ago
Zero Client Devices for VDI?
There is a lot of talk about zero clients and thin clients, especially to support VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure). Zero client aka. Ultra-thin client is a hardware device, like a PC, but it has no operating system, no hard-drive, and no memory. It is basically a dumb terminal, taking us back to the days of mainframes. The usual benefits touted about these devices are that they are inexpensive (perhaps $400 or less) and they are secure (you can lose these devices but all the data is in the data center).
This is true, but you still have to buy these zero client or thin client devices. If you already have old hardware, it can still serve as a connection to a virtual desktop residing in a data center. And this is at no-cost for new hardware.
Thin client devices give a little more inside the device, such as an operating system or ability to run a local browser. These can range from $300-$800, and as you can see, there is not a cost savings and there is minimal distinction between a thin client and a regular PC.
How a Virtual Desktop and Device Work Together
Once you have a PC to access your virtual desktop, you have the local processing power, local graphics acceleration card, and memory to run applications and have the performance you need to have a good experience on a virtual desktop.
Contact us to discuss what device(s) will work best in your organization.