With the majority of organizations and businesses presently utilizing some type of cloud-based application, it’s clear that its benefits are recognized across the board. It’s no surprise that this also goes for the education industry. Certainly, the advantages of cloud computing are evident from a business perspective, but these applications are opening up new possibilities and creating potential to impact education and the way it works. This new technology is poised to have an incredible effect on traditional classrooms as well as institutions that offer online courses.
As the world of education continues to march forward into the era of technology, students everywhere are taking advantage of the movement. Not only does this new knowledge save the starving student more than a few pennies, it also opens up doors for improving the way in which they work, learn and study. Cloud technology has the power to take the classroom out of the box and out into wide open spaces. In fact, cloud technology has the power to take the classroom and its students virtually anywhere. Let’s take a look at some of the ways students are being affected…
- 24/7/365 access to everything! Because cloud technology is completely mobile, students can get to the information they need any time of day from almost any location.
- Student collaboration is a breeze! Learning teamwork is an important part of education and preparing students for the future. Time restraints can make working together difficult, but with cloud technology students can collaborate from different locations on their own schedule.
- Lighten the load! No need to carry around CDs or thumb drives which also takes a load of stress off. There’s never a worry that critical information hasn’t saved or won’t load properly.
- Keeping up with all of that “stuff!” The cloud makes it easy for students to keep up with everything. The problem of losing notes and other important information is solved. Undoubtedly, being a well-organized scholar has never been easier.
- Say “goodbye” to outdated learning materials! This is especially true for the K-12 arena. Not all schools can afford to replace outdated textbooks, and this ends up being at the student’s expense. With cloud technology, students will have access to the most up to date information possible.
Aside from the benefits to students for an all-around improved educational experience, faculty and staff can take advantage of the added perk of more easily teaching their students, balancing the budget, and better using their resources. Here are just a few reasons that cloud technology will help educators at all levels….
- Say “goodbye” to expensive textbooks! When schools choose to use cloud technology for their curriculum, instead of hardbound textbooks, the savings is phenomenal.
- Say “goodbye” to expensive software! With a multitude of software programs being offered free of charge or on a subscription basis for a low cost, the price-tag of essential applications for students is considerably lowered. One example of this SaaS model, also known as software-as-a-service, is Microsoft Office. Instead of purchasing a single license for around $150, a cloud based subscription can be purchased for a low cost of only $10. Furthermore, expensive learning management systems which come with a hefty price of tens of thousands can be purchased as cloud-based subscriptions for a mere fraction of the cost.
- Say “goodbye” to expensive hardware! It is readily apparent, and the trend is clear. With more public cloud services being sold, the use of traditional enterprise hardware is shrinking. Expensive computers are nice, but not necessary with cloud technology. A smartphone can just as easily access needed applications as well as the “latest and greatest” laptop or desktop. External storage devices will also become a thing of the past, as there is no lack of companies offering free and inexpensive cloud-based storage.
- Allowing schools to continue using the hardware they have already purchased, The cloud is becoming ever more popular. This is just another way institutions are able to save money and put it to good use in other areas.
- Reduce the paper trail! With cloud computing, the need for photocopying is significantly reduced. Course outlines, notes, quizzes, tests, and grades can all be shared online.
- Say “no” to file cabinets! Free up some space! There is absolutely no need to save hard copies when everything can be saved digitally. With cloud computing systems being backed-up on a regular basis, the chances of losing the content is quite minimal.
With these ways, along with others, cloud technology is clearly creating a high-quality environment in the education industry which allows students, faculty and staff to more easily access vital resources.